Stephanie has been a Certified Pilates and Adaptive Fitness instructor for the last 10 years. She teaches group exercise classes for adults 50 and older here in on the peninsula south of San Francisco. Stephanie and I are both graduates of Dr. Karl Knopf’s Adaptive Fitness Program at Foothill College. You might remember my interview with Dr. Karl back at episode #12.
Stephanie’s goals are to instill to her students a love of movement, an appreciation of the power and fragility of the human body, and an understanding of exercise as a critical component of our overall health and well-being. And, as all of her loyal students will attest, she goes way beyond by putting her heart and soul into her classes. Check it out!
In the interview I ask Stephanie the following questions:
- You’ve been in the fitness field now for 10 years. What attracted you to this profession?
- You are a certified Pilates instructor. Tell us a bit about what Pilates is and how you incorporate it with adaptive fitness program.
- I know that you love teaching group exercise classes? What is your approach to working safely and effectively with a room full of boomers and seniors?
What are the challenges that you see most often with your boomer and senior students?
- How do you keep your students motivated?
- Tell us a bit about how and why you incorporate mental exercises into your classes.
- Do you have a mission in life?
What does your personal exercise regime look like?
- What advice can you give boomers and seniors for finding a fun and effective exercise program that they will stick with?
Do you have any parting words of advice for us boomers?