Step 1 – Download The Cut Your Cable Worksheet that will help you compare your existing cost with your potential cost, and savings from cutting that cord.[optin-monster-shortcode id=”le9sy1tbkz2isvvd”]
Step 2 – Determine your present cost for cable TV factoring any items that are bundled with your cable Service. Be sure to add any monthly/annual DVR service costs such as Tivo.
Step 3 – Determine your present Broadband speed. Click here to use the very cool speed test tool. If you’re not getting at least 15mbps, than find out the availability and cost of broadband that will give you the speed you need.
Step 4 – If your telephone service is bundled with your cable tv service than determine what kind of service and how much the cost will increase or decrease if you cut your cable TV service. Click here to go to a review of the top 10 VOIP (internet) services.
Step 5 – Check out the cost of an Over The Air (OTA) antenna. Click here to go to an excellent review of indoor OTA Antennas.
Step 6 – Determine which device(s) you would like to access your streaming services.
- Roku – $69 – $99. Click here for a comparison of all the Roku players. You will want the Roku 2, or Roku 3 for your main media set-up. You might consider the Roku Streaming Stick if you have a wall-mounted TV.
- Apple TV – $69. Click here for more information.
- Playstation4 – $399…ouch. Click here for more information.
- Xbox1 – $350. Click here for more information.
- Amazon Fire TV – $99. Click Here for more information.
- Chromecast – $35. Click here for more information.
Step 7 – Determine which streaming services you would like.
- Netflix – $8. Click here for more information.
- Amazon Prime Instant Video – $99/Year. Click here for more information.
- HBO – $15 on Apple TV or Sling TV
- Sling TV – $20 basic. Click here for more information.
- Vudu – Free/Pay per view. Click here for more information.
- HuluPlus – $7.99. Click here for more information.
Click here for a good article on the best video streaming services in 2015.
Step 8 – Pick out a Over The Air (OTA) Digital Video Recorder. Click here for the Digital Trends Best OTA DVRs of 2015.
- Tivo Roamio OTA HD DVR and Streaming Media Player. Tivo Service is $50 plus $15/month, $150/year, $500/lifetime one-time payment. Click here for more information.
- Channel Master DVR+ – $249/no monthly service fee. Click here for more information.
- Tablo DVR for HDTV Antennas, 4-Tuner with Wi-Fi – $279. $5/month, $50/year, or $150/lifetime. Click here for more information.
- TV 2 ($200) – $60/year or $150/lifetime. Click here for more information.
Step 9 – Enter the costs of all the devices and services that you want and then compare it to the cost of your cable TV. The rest is up to you!
Click here for more information on Google Fiber.
Click here for the latest information on cutting your cable from Cable Compare.
How to Subscribe and leave a review for The Essential Boomer podcast
I really appreciate your interest and support. Subscribing and leaving a review for my podcast is by far the best way to get it seen by more people. CLICK HERE to subscribe and/or to leave a review to THE ESSENTIAL BOOMER podcast on iTunes.