My name is Jim Jensen and I have been on the planet for almost 70 years. I was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area and now live in San Mateo, 17 miles south of SF on the peninsula. I came of age here in the 1960s and loved it.
For over 15 years I trained many people dealing with a wide array of physical challenges. I’ve worked with people from 8 to 100 years old and always kept abreast of the latest research and science in health, fitness, and aging.
In 2015 I launched The Essential Boomer Podcast & Blog which focused on health, fitness, and many other topics of interest to us baby boomers. I loved being able to share important, life-changing information with so many more people.
A little over two years ago I decided to write The 10 Most Powerful Health Habits book. To do this I put my podcast on hiatus so I could focus all my efforts on the book. I will be resuming my podcasting with a new Healthy Habits for Life podcast which will be launched in early 2022.
I’ve lived with Laura, the love of my life, for over 23 years. I’m the luckiest guy in the world to be able to share my life with her. I also have two incredible daughters along with two world-class sons-in-law. we have also welcomed to the planet our two amazing granddaughters, Ravenna and Nevica.
Laura and I also have the most wonderful network of friends, family, and dogs.
I am truly blessed.
My personal spiritual practice includes meditation, gratitude, immersing myself in nature, and frequent dog slurps.
My hobbies include hanging out with family and friends, cooking, photography, home-improvement projects, bird-watching, hiking, brewing ales, exercise, music, writing, electronic geekery, and listening to podcasts, and audiobooks.
This is what it’s all about.
• I am the Founder of Fit for Life. For over 15 years I provided one-on-one physical training mostly with people over 50.
• I trained many people with chronic conditions including multiple sclerosis, cardiovascular disease, traumatic brain injury, Osteoporosis, spinal injuries, arthritis, and Parkinson’s disease.
• I obtained an Associate of Arts Degree in an adaptive fitness program developed by Dr. Karl Knopf who literally wrote the book (all 15+ of them!) on senior fitness.
• I received my Certified Personal Trainer certification along with my advanced certification as a Corrective Exercise Specialist with the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM).
Jim & friends at Grateful Dead Concert
• I can make my eyeballs quickly wiggle back and forth.
• I LOVE the Grateful Dead.
• I had a lot of snakes and lizards as pets.
• I was in a band with Neil Schon, the lead guitarist with Journey.
• I took guitar lessons from Don Irving of The Beau Brummels.
• I took singing lessons for six months after college. My instructor then told me it was hopeless.
• I saw Stan Musial, Willie Mays, and Warren Spahn play baseball at Candlestick Park.
• In 1967 I saw The Doors in concert at Winterland, San Francisco.
• One of my first jobs ever was as a door-to-door salesman for Fuller Brush Company. would you care for a free household gift?
• I sold copier machines for 3M Company for 6 months after college. We had a mutual parting of the ways over the length of my hair.